Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Quitting Smoking, withdrawl symptoms??

I recnetly quit smoking, im 33 years old, smoked for about 18 years a pack and a half a day, since ive quit for the last month i have been hacking up chunks of stuff, its not blood it just seems like garbage from my lungs, this started about 2.5 weeks after quitting, now my voice is hoarse and has been hoarse for about 2 weeks, seems like quitting smoking is causing me more issues then when i smoked!
I also get hungry alot now and when i dont eat i get shakey, i never ever used to get like this... Uhggg
The main thing im concerned about is the hoarse voice, ive had every test known to man done and im a pretty healthy guy...
Any advice would be great... Thanks
Answer:
First of all, good for you! Congrats! Secondly, I think your lungs are trying to get rid of the "garbage" and all the coughing up is making your throat sore. Just give it some time and if you keep having the voice problem, just go see the doc. You are on the right track. Good job! OH! The food issue...when you smoke, your body receives serotonin...since you are not smoking anymore, you might be missing that serotonin and craving more sugary foods to replace what you are missing. Sugary foods also have a nice serotonin effect. I hope that makes sense.
The hunger and shakiness is your body adjusting to the lack of nicotine. It is an appetite suppresant. This will pass with time. I don't like the sound of that cough. I am sure the hoarsness is caused by this violent coughing's effect on your vocal chords. Once the cough is gone the chords should heal. I think you need to find out what this stuff you are coughing up is. Have the doctor look at some of your sputum and make sure there isn't something else going on. Otherwise these symptoms are normal of withdrawl. Fantastic that you have gone a month already. Good health.
I'm not a doctor but I quit smoking quite a few times before I was actually able to quit for good. I had all the same symptoms as you did, except the hoarse voice. It could just be a coincidence in timing, maybe something entirely unrelated is causing this, or simply coughing up stuff is causing it. Or, maybe you are just paying attention to your body more now, as quitting smoking does have some mental affects. In my own case, I know I focused on every little thing and I was quite crazy to be honest with you. It should pass, ask a doctor if you're concerned. But I wanted to say one thing... congratulations !! :)
the new med, Chantix, has very few side effects and is incredibly effective. talk to your doctor.
Now that you're not smoking, your body is cleansing itself of the toxins built up from smoking. Your voice is being affected by all the crap you're yaking up. Go buy 7 gallons of distilled water. Drinking it will speed up your bodys' detoxifying process. It'll also thin out what you're coughing up so your cough can be more productive.
Buy carrot sticks, celery sticks, hard candy. Place them throughout your house where you can get easy access.
You can also go to your local health food store %26 buy an herb called "lobelia". It'll help calm your body down.
Congrats!
Don't worry about the coughing or the hoarse voice. I quit smoking around 3 weeks ago, and I too had plenty of side effects that made me quite nervous. It is normal.

You said quitting smoking seems like it is causing you more issues than when you smoked. That is the same feeling I had.

If you are only having those symptoms, be happy. I had more than that, and it was HORRIBLE!

Whatever you do, don't go back to smoking. What you are feeling now is only temporary! You will be over it soon, and feeling like a new man in no time!

Congratulations and Best of Luck!
Thats the withdrawel from smoking. Before you started smoking you only had so many dopamine receptors in your brain (not seratonin) when you first started smoking you probably got sick, thats from too much dopamine. At this point your brain created more dopamine receptors to handle the overage the cigarettes gave you. Now you quit smoking and your brain cant keep up with the demand. It takes months for those extra receptors to die down. Keep up the good work, you'll feel much better in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


Premature © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net